Last Updated on May 15, 2019 by Klaus Crow
Since an early age I have always been interested in Zen and Taoism.
Reading about these philosophies and later on applying and incorporating them into my life changed everything…
…from teaching guitar, practicing guitar, songwriting, performing, relationships, friends, marriage, parentship, business to even the smallest details that make part of my life.
My guitar playing got so much better and my guitar playing life got so much more fulfilling because I let everything go.
I let go of everything that I thought I needed to do, everything that I was afraid would happen if I would not live up to my expectations. I let go of approval, reputation, money and my limited believes that were taught by my envoirment. I finally got everything without trying to get it.
The philosophy of Taoism and Zen makes everything in life so much more pure, enjoyable and above all it makes you feel free. Free from your past and future burdens that you constantly carry with you.
When you free yourself from regrets (past) or expectations (future) which takes daily practice, you’ll start thinking and feeling differently after a while.
Things become easier. You’ll grow without trying to grow and you’ll succeed without trying to succeed. It’s the way of the Tao.
Don’t believe my word for it but try it yourself. Here are some of the philosophies from the Tao Te Ching applied to the guitar lifestyle design.
Read slowly and thoughtfully:
– Play guitar for fun, let go of goals and expectations and you’ll unlock the mystery.
– Be Yourself. Don’t compare or compete with other guitar players.
– Stay behind everyone else and you’ll be ahead.
– Teach guitar but don’t control. Teach without being present. Have faith in the student.
– Let go of all things, manifestations and succes and you will be perfectly fulfilled.
– If you care for people’s approval of your songs or guitar skills they will always be in control.
– Allow things to come and go. Let the tao of guitar playing take it’s course.
– Do not seek, do not expect, be present and welcome all things on your path.
– Stop thinking and all difficulties will end.
– Have no goals and you’ll succeed in everything you do.
– If you do not hope or expect, you will never be dissapointed and your spirit will remain light and free.
– Express yourself fully and then be still.
– Haste makes waste. Go slowly. Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.
– Be free from any plans or think about where you are heading. Let the tao lead you wherever it wants.
– Accept what is there and the Tao will work for you.
– Keep setting goals and there will always be more to be done, stop setting goals and nothing will be left undone.
– When you see you already have everything and that everything is enough then everything is possible.
– Practice guitar, write a song, record, perform, teach and then step back.
– Let the Tao unveil.