Last Updated on June 24, 2022 by Klaus Crow
Playing a chords, chord progressions and songs is fun, but combining chords with melody by adding licks to the table is even more fun. This style of playing adds beautiful colors to the rhythm that makes the whole thing really interesting to the listeners ear. Today we’re going to do just that.
Mix Chords, Licks and Melody
Learning to combine chords and licks is a skill that has to be trained and practiced. It’s a different technique that requires you to anticipate your next move where your fingers have to jump from chords to single notes lines.
- Practice and memorize then entire tune from beginning to end
- Practice the chord strumming slowly
- Practice the licks / fills slowly
- Practice the chord strumming and fills slowly
- Hear me: When I say slowly, I mean slowly
- Make sure each notes sounds clean and clear
- Gradually increase your speed when you a bit comfortable
- Learn how to practice faster
- Practice daily