photo by Nicki Varkevisser
Most of us want to work less. We want a four day workweek, a three day workweek or a four hour workweek. We all want to have more time to play guitar and to enjoy life to the fullest, but when it comes down to it I often see that people resist and make excuses.
Why? Because they don’t want to compromise. They don’t want to give up their stuff, their luxurious lifestyle for freedom.
People have become addicts of a consumerist society and choose materialism over freedom, materialism over happiness, materialism over spending real time with their children, friends and family, materialism over doing what they love most, materialism over risking.
Risking? Risking what? A life where they can’t afford a second car, a bigger TV, a bigger house, more guitars, more expensive equipment, more stuff. That’s not a risk, that is salvation.
Release yourself from an addictive mind. Let’s choose freedom over materialism. Let’s choose to do real things. Not buy things, but do things.
So what are those real things? Real things are: Creating something, learning, achieving goals, working out, having fun, playing guitar, practicing, writing lyrics and music, performing, etc.
A lot of times people say to me “I need good money to have fun”. I say “No you don’t”. You don’t need a lot of money to achieve your goals if you are creative, if you use your imagination and connect with people in a sincere way. Take the effort to try and just do before you say things are not possible.
My point is you need a shift in your thinking in order to work less and have more fun. You really don’t need to work 5 days out of 7 to pay the bills. We have been customized to do so. Let’s say we had 8 days in a week. We would probably think we needed to work 6 days or 7 days a week, because that is what society wants us to believe.
Isn’t it a coincidence that we all need to work from 9 to 5 to finish our business? No of course not. We have brought this upon ourselves. We make ourselves believe that we can’t change the situation we live in. We make ourselves believe that is the way it is.
Look beyond yourself, there is a whole new generation out there starting from zero who are now living their lives on their own terms. Yes it’s possible!
What would happen if you tried to work four days a week instead of five to begin with? With your ears and eyes open you would soon discover new opportunities, open doors to change, a new lifestyle and a new way of thinking. You would be forced to use your creative mind and make it work somehow.
You could start your own business or your own creative way to make money doing something you love. You could find something you would be passionate about. Gradually creating your own way of life.
With this new lifestyle you now got the time and energy to do things differently, effectively and more efficiently. These are 3 key essentials, because you don’t want to do more work than necessary. You don’t want to do work that can be done better, easier, faster, outsourced or not at all. Soon you will get the hang of it. This way of living and thinking will taste for more. Your imagination and creative mind will be running wild.
A lot of people think you need to be rich first before you can work less, but you really should be working less before you get rich. You need to live life now and do what you love most (not buy what you love most). Doing things makes you a happier person, not buying things.
You can build this life gradually by taking it step by step. Plan a new step every day of the week to get you going. Plan steps that will really change things, new steps that will lead you to an extraordinary life where you make the rules!
Here some tips to work less and live the good life:
1. Write down what kind of your work you would love to do.
2. Write down how much time you want to spend on the most important things in your life:
Family and friends, your work, playing guitar, working out, etc.
3. Write a plan with effective clear steps towards that life. One step each day of the week.
4. Start saving money to pay off your debts. Lose your credit-cards.
5. Start spending less money on buying stuff. Focus on doing not buying.
6. Start to work less, work something out with your boss, change jobs if necessary, start your own business.
7. Focus on priorities. Stop wasting your time on things that don’t matter. ( TV, TV, TV, Surfing the Internet, watching and reading the news every day, checking email every other minute, etc. )
8. Do something that would really change your life a year from now.
9. Start doing things effectively and efficiently. Use your imagination. Read books or blogs on this topic.
10. Start using your creative mind to turn things around to achieve your goal.
11. Do things differently. Don’t do things like everyone else. Don’t go with the flow. If you do what everyone does you get what everyone has.
12. Think outside of the box. Make a habit of doing things outside of the box.
13. If the steps towards your new life are hard and tough, change them so they are pleasurable and fun to do. You need to be passionate about it or create a passion for it.
14. Overcome fear of failure and success. Love your fear and it cannot drive you, push it away and it owns you.
Imagination is more important than knowledge – Albert Einstein